Poison Prevention Month

by | Cats, Dogs, Pets

by Bobbi

Cats | Dogs | Pets

March symbolizes new growth; procreation in humans, animals and plants! It is also a time to think about all around poison prevention.

Poisonous items are everywhere.  They are in our cabinets, garages and flower beds.  Everyday items can be poisonous to pets.  There are many things that can harm our pets, but let’s review items most everyone would have in and around their house.

Poisonous to Pets

Medications, such as, Advil, Aleve and Motrin are all a danger to our four-legged friends.  Tylenol poses a threat to dogs but is particularly dangerous to cats. How we store these medications needs to be taken into consideration.  Don’t store in small plastic bags that can be easily chewed.  Always keep your medications in containers with tamper proof lids and in a different location as your pet’s medications. As pet sitters in people’s homes, we frequently see medications setting on tables where dogs or cats can get to them. Store all medications out of reach!

Household paints, glue and cleaning chemicals can be a threat of danger.  These items do not smell good, but have an interesting texture at might entice a cat or dog to ingest it. Glue can expand in the stomach and cause blockage.

Spring is near, so let’s visit what items that can bring harm from our garden. It is logical to keep Pesticides/Insecticides away from pets, but blood meal and bone meal are plant fertilizers that can be quite harmful to pets. There is a wide range of flowers and household plants that are toxic. Lilies, tulips and crocus top the list.  The entire list can be viewed at www.petpoisonhelpline.com.  Certain mulching products can be chemically dangerous or splinter internally in a dog’s stomach.

Let’s not forget the items we love to eat! Cooked or raw garlic and onions are harmful to cats, while grapes/raisins and chocolate are listed to keep away from dogs.  The darker the chocolate percentage: the more toxic.  Alcohol or caffeinated drinks, raw yeast dough and raw meats can also pose sever illness to death in pets.

 Xylitol (in sugar-free gum & some peanut butter) is dangerous to dogs, while certain essential oils are dangerous to cats. 

How to help a pet if poisoned

While we can’t monitor our pets 24/7, if you think they have ingested anything that could be toxic or poisonous contact your Veterinarian immediately. Many of these items listed cause internal issues and might not be detected right away.  Take a quick assessment of what and how much was ingested, the time frame the ingestion took place (if known) and note any changes your pet might be experiencing. This information will be helpful to your Veterinarian. You may also call the Pet Poison Help Line for assistance.  We recommend having your Veterinarian and the Pet Poison Help Line (885-764-7661) stored in your phone!

Black Paw 101: Keep them safe!

Bobbi Wilson, CPPS since 2018